Buffett on Facebook IPO

Posted by onawhim on May 06, 2012 (09:54AM)

At an interview Warren Buffet states:

"The idea that something coming out...that's being offered with significant commissions, all kinds of publicity, the seller electing the time to sell, is going to be the best single investment that I can make in the world among thousands of choices is mathematically impossible," said Buffett. 

There is an very interesting video featuring Warren Buffet at the site below.  Mr. Buffet gives his thoughts on the economy, Europe, the candidates for president and Facebook.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/06/news/buffett-facebook/ 

Posted by Midneo on May 06, 2012 (12:47PM)

Warren Buffet is truly one of the greatest investors of all time in my book. He knows the P/E of Facebook is to high but he also know the Potential Facebook has as Monopoly. I hear people say face book is such a fad but people don't realize the potential behind social networking and advertisement and I always have faith in the American Economy beyond the fact we have over trillions dollars in debt people trust us and as long it debt can't get to 130% percent of GDP i wouldn't worry about the american economy for now. Europe is the concern.

Posted by OldFart on May 06, 2012 (03:52PM)

I have a friend, she is doing an MBA. The assignment for this semester is to evaluate Zynga. I just wished her luck

Posted by incubus on May 06, 2012 (05:31PM)

I look at things in their simplest form first.

I recall a social network that that availed Email, countless free games, and a labyrinth of live chat rooms that featured every conceivable topic from lifestyles to professional discussion that were open 24/7.

It also had message boards - live chats/tutorials for students, and the general public, who could ask questions and receive prompt advice rom indiustry professionals, teachers and professors on everything from history, English, physics,computer science/programming....etc.

That social network was AOL, they decided to downsize at around 2004-2005 and I cannot understand what Facebook has that they don't/didn't.

Heck, two movies were made, featuring Tom Hanks, that revolved around the social culture of AOL.

Zynga even further baffles me, this thing reeks of flavor of the month, they offer two popular role playing games, that's it.

If AOL wakes up, goes back to the old format, reopens chats and message boards Facebook could be crushed....however, if it wasn't/isn't lucrative for AOL, I fail to see how it is so for Facebook.

Posted by rmartish on May 06, 2012 (09:39PM)

Everything that is being said about FaceBook was being said about MySpace. It's social media. As soon as teenagers realize there parents are on Facebook the sooner they will find the new fad. Count on it. You guys do remember high school?

You must Log In to post to this forum.

Not a member? Register Now to …

• See what other traders are doing
  • Make your own trades public
  • Share your thoughts on a trade
  • Join or start a group
  • Connect with like-minded traders