Stock charting software??

Posted by carparker on April 15, 2012 (11:17AM)

I'd like to get some advice on stock charting software. Do most of you use some type of software?
If yes, which one would you recommend?

TIA

Posted by TheSnowMan on April 15, 2012 (12:03PM)

the best: TC2000 from worden.com 

Posted by carparker on April 15, 2012 (12:11PM)

Thanks  for the response Snowman. Anybody else?

Posted by OldFart on April 15, 2012 (12:18PM)

r u looking for free or commercial package?

Posted by carparker on April 15, 2012 (01:31PM)

OldFart said:
r u looking for free or commercial package?

I'm interested in the best of each but mostly the best overall. I'm new to trading, so any advice would be great!

Posted by OldFart on April 15, 2012 (01:52PM)

i have not used it but many members here like freestockcharts.com. you can search the archives for details ot just visit the page

Posted by incubus on April 15, 2012 (07:29PM)

The free version of Worden's software - freestockcharts.com - gives you a chance to test-drive the Worden format, it also offers a low priced alternative for online use that comes with more functionality.

It has an overwhelming assortment of indicators, I personally only use the relative strength indicator to observe various sectors in relation to the S&P.(I'm not big on indicators in general)

There's a bit of a learning curve, if you like "toys" this is something to play with for hours. (I wasted an awful lot of time this way)

The paid version (TC2000, mentioned above) has some excellent scanning peripherals based on volume/price action, P/E, book value, price to book and others.

Posted by carparker on April 15, 2012 (10:00PM)

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to try freestockcharts.com and see how I like it.
Thanks again.

Posted by DRI62YT2CX on April 15, 2012 (11:35PM)

Try out the StockCharts.com. I recently subscribed and I think it is a helpful charting sytem. They offer a free charting system with limited ticker symbols.

Posted by ScottBuck on April 16, 2012 (10:00AM)

This may be blasphemy on a TK forum,  but I have several accounts with several different brokerages.

Bar none,  ThinkOrSwim has the best free, real time charting package out there.   The merger with TDAmeritrade has made some of it murky, and the old ToS charting software requires a bit of digging to find, but it has everything, and I do mean everything, for free.   They have a downloadable desktop client that is full-featured, INCLUDING an historical options price database (EOD) for the last 7 yrs.  You also have intraday options history for the last 6 months, allowing you to replay a day as it happened. 

They have every indicator under the sun, literally, pre-programmed, and a custom ThinkScript language for programming your own if that is how you roll.

The web version of their client is almost identical in every way with two caveats: the price database is not accessible and (at least for me at my work) an inability to save chart settings.  So every morning I have to set up my chart template the way I want it.

You do need a funded account I believe.  Not sure what the minimums are, but essentially when I opened my ToS account years ago, that allowed me to punt my Metastock charting software and the data feeds I had been paying for.

The only two things I have not gotten ToS to do successfully are  equivolume bars, and support for the MIDAS support/resistance curves.  For that I use Ninjatrader with Yahoo EOD as the data feed.   Ninjatrader is free for End-of-Day (EOD) charting.

PM me if anybody has any questions!

Scott

You must Log In to post to this forum.

Not a member? Register Now to …

• See what other traders are doing
  • Make your own trades public
  • Share your thoughts on a trade
  • Join or start a group
  • Connect with like-minded traders