Question on Option Expiration

Posted by made to trade on March 15, 2012 (05:41PM)

Hello,

I am short a few options that are expiring on March 17th.  The options are close to being ATM.  My question is, suppose at 4PM ET, the option finishes OTM - meaning I should make the premium.  However, what if during the after market hours, the underlying moves and the option ends up being ITM.

Would I be assigned the underlying since expiration is March 17th (not 16th?).

I don't particularly want to close out my position unless I feel that it will finish ITM during market hours as the fees will take away some of my profits.

Thanks!

Posted by made to trade on March 15, 2012 (06:01PM)

Wait, I just read this on brokerage-review.com.  Is this true? 

"Short options valued at 5 cents or less, can be bought to close these positions for no charge (commission free)"

Posted by doougle on March 15, 2012 (06:49PM)

Yes, that's true on TK.  Short options under .05 can be closed with no commission (SEC fee still applies).  It's a good idea to buy them back when they get that cheap.

The settle price (for equity options) is the price at the close on the 16th.  So if something happens after the close, it won't effect your options, but if you are long or short stock as the result of assignment, it would effect your Monday prices.

Posted by made to trade on March 16, 2012 (10:08PM)

Thanks doougle.

Posted by WeirdUncleJesse on March 19, 2012 (05:05PM)

The above only refers to what happens automatically. Once, I sold options that were otm at market close at the expiration date. However, someone still exercised options that they bought just prior to market close. My options were among those that were assigned by the Clearing House. Lucky me, I made an additional 2-3% profit on the deal :-). 

Be advised, options can be exercised at *any* time at the whim of the buyer. It matters not at all whether the decision is in the best interest of the buyer. The specific contracts that are assigned to be exercised are randomly chosen by the impatial Options Clearing House. Sometimes you get lucky.

~~Weird Uncle Jesse~~

Posted by TK All-Star on March 21, 2012 (09:44AM)

Hello MTT,

There is a rule that determines the official closing price (or settlement price) for the underlying asset. When that asset is a stock, the official settlement price is the final trade that occurs before the market closes on the 3rd Friday of the month. Thus, those options officially expire worthless.

However, any option owner has the right to exercise an option, even when it is out of the money. For obvious reasons, this does not happen very frequently. Your example represents a perfect situation for which the ‘DO EXERCISE’ notice exists. Therefore, any person who owns call options that move ITM after hours, and who is aware that the stock is trading above the strike in the after-hours market may, if he/she so choose, notify TradeKing (before the official cutoff time, which is approximately 4:30PM ET) to exercise. Thus, there is a chance that you will be assigned an exercise notice in the scenario you describe. But these options are NOT subject to the auto-exercise rule.

Note: Expiration is officially on Saturday, following the 3rd Friday, but the option owner must still submit a DO EXERCISE (or a DO NOT EXERCISE, if the situation calls for that) option before Saturday.

Here is a thought: Buying back your soon-to-expire-worthless options (at $0.05) will indeed cost you that $5 per contract, plus fees. However, the time may come when you will rue the fact that you got into the habit of trying to earn that very last nickel from a trade. Sometimes you can buy that option (to close) weeks before expiration. That can be a lot of safety for only $5.

Mark D Wolfinger
Options for Rookies
March 19, 2012

Online trading has inherent risk due to system response and access times that may vary due to market conditions, system performance, and other factors. An investor should understand these and additional risks before trading.

At the time of publication and in the preceding month, TradeKing and the third-party content provider did not have ownership greater than 1% in any stocks mentioned here and do not have any other actual, material conflict of interest known at the time of publication. Neither TradeKing nor the third-party content provider, received compensation from a public offering or from investment banking services related to any companies mentioned here within the past 12 months, or expects to receive any in the next 3 months. Neither TradeKing nor the third party content provider engaged in market making in the securities mentioned here. TradeKing selects and defines as All-Stars certain independent market commentators who are recognized industry personalities and experienced traders. TradeKing All-Stars provide timely market commentary via the TradeKing All-Star blog at http://community.tradeking.com/members/tk-all-star/blogs. Each All-Star commentator's bio, related qualifications and disclosure as to their relationship with TradeKing can be found on the All-Star blog roster, available at http://community.tradeking.com/members/tk-all-star/details. The selection of All-Stars commentators is solely based on the quality and style of the content provided. TradeKing does not measure, endorse, or monitor the performance or correctness of any statement or recommendation made by independent All-Stars commentators on TradeKing.com. Supporting documentation for any claims made in this post will be supplied upon request by the author of the post, who is solely responsible for the views expressed here. Send a private message to All-Stars using the link below the profile image.

Mark Wolfinger maintains a business relationship with TradeKing.

All investments involve risk, losses may exceed the principal invested, and the past performance of a security, industry, sector, market, or financial product does not guarantee future results or returns. TradeKing provides selfdirected investors with discount brokerage services, and does not make recommendations or offer investment, financial, legal or tax advice. You alone are responsible for evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of TradeKing's systems, services or products.

© 2012 TradeKing Group, Inc. Securities offered through TradeKing, LLC. All rights reserved. Member FINRA and SIPC.

You must Log In to post to this forum.

Not a member? Register Now to …

• See what other traders are doing
  • Make your own trades public
  • Share your thoughts on a trade
  • Join or start a group
  • Connect with like-minded traders