Moving back to the staples of society Cigarettes and booze

Posted by papermaker67 on March 08, 2012 (12:56PM)

After a weekend in Seattle I see that the non smoking phase must be over.  I've never seen so many people smoking WOW.  Booze speaks for itself.

Posted by TampaJake on March 08, 2012 (04:44PM)

About a year and a half ago I was selling to a private school that was mostly Muslim. I happened to be there just as parents were picking up the kids. Not only were many of the parents smoking, but the school personnel directing traffic as well. The advertising media within the USA has done a pretty effective job of telling us about the evils of smoking, second hand smoke, tar & nicotine. This is not the culture in the rest of the world as I see it.

The smoking you see in Seattle could have a lot to do with its location and the makeup of its population. I see a lot of the same on trips to Maine, except it is the booze more than the smoking. You gotta do something to deal with the harsh winters.

By the way, is it just me, but does it bother you to see doctors and nurses smoking?
What is up with that?

Posted by spshapiro on March 08, 2012 (04:57PM)

TJ, "Do as I say, not as I do", will never go out of fashion.

Posted by papermaker67 on March 09, 2012 (03:23AM)

Its legalized drugs-both of them (cigs liquor)  never going away, way too much money in it for the government.  We actually need more senior citizens to start smoking as an end around for the social security, medicare funding problem.
Upstream_thumb Brokerage Account

Posted by JTD on March 09, 2012 (06:11PM)

TampaJake said:By the way, is it just me, but does it bother you to see doctors and nurses smoking?
What is up with that?

Yea, that always struck me as a supreme irony. But 'round these parts, it's trivial, so hey...when in Rome.

Posted by Janosik on March 10, 2012 (09:01AM)

papermaker67 said:
Its legalized drugs-both of them (cigs liquor)  never going away, way too much money in it for the government.  We actually need more senior citizens to start smoking as an end around for the social security, medicare funding problem.

I disagree.  We need more baby-boomers to do this, and do it binge-style.  The costs to treat associated health problems (cancer, liver failure) far outweigh "normal" old age health issues.  The binging must commence on such a scale that death is relatively sudden, avoiding drawn out extension of non-contributing "life".

I say this all tongue-in-cheek, of course.

What we really need is an abrupt change to more active, healthy lifestyle for everyone.

I would invest in marijuana if they legalized it.  The only problem would be to figure out who would be the next Altria.  Or maybe Altria would just add that to their group. 

Posted by papermaker67 on March 12, 2012 (12:21PM)

I think the cigarette companies would be the natural first choice for legalized doobies.
Agree.  

What would be the cost savings, revenue features of legalized marijuana?
The list gets long real fast.

Posted by chindonya on March 13, 2012 (02:56PM)

ha. yeah. people in portland and seattle like their cigs, despite the fact that the Washington was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon of banning smoking indoors outright.

as for an investment, I wouldn't touch tobacco- road to nowhere.  booze, however, isn't going out of style anytime soon, and I've seen a strong trend over the last, say, 3-4 years towards high end cocktails, retro cocktails (thank you mad men!) and "mixologists" (granted, classier name than "bartender," and if the dude at starbucks gets to be called a "barista," I have no problem calling the bartender at applebees a "mixologist"). 

I tend to think the trend will only spread and continue for the time being- whether that translates into more sales and growth in the industry is anyone's guess, but I see fewer people drinking beer and more people drinking high-end cocktails (and paying 10-14 bucks a pop for the privilege) than ever.

then again, maybe I'm just going to better bars than I used to.

Posted by OldFart on March 13, 2012 (04:45PM)

check out the performance of the VICE fund (VICEX if I remember correctly). it made some college money for my son, no current position

Posted by Fiddie on March 13, 2012 (06:02PM)

hmmm - chart wouldn't display.
VICEX is up 26% since Sept.
Equity holdings include Lorrillard, Anheuser Busch, Altria, Phillip Morris,
Honeywell, Raytheon, Las Vegas Sands, and General Dynamics.

...I recently bought LO in part for it's 4.77% yield.

You must Log In to post to this forum.

Not a member? Register Now to …

• See what other traders are doing
  • Make your own trades public
  • Share your thoughts on a trade
  • Join or start a group
  • Connect with like-minded traders