Multiple 3rd party trackers on my account pages

Posted by doougle on February 16, 2017 (12:03PM)

So I have Ghostery installed on my chrome browser.  I'm a little surprised that while I'm on my Account holdings page, I'm seeing blocked trackers.
It's understandable that some would be there for customer experience of tracking a user through the TK site, but there are pure advertising trackers at play too:
--Act0On Beacon
--Bing Ads
--DoubleClick Ad Exchange Buyer
--Google Dynamic Remarketing
In total there are 9 trackers being blocked.  When I open the Forum page it goes to 10.
Could someone explain why?

Posted by the penguin on February 17, 2017 (12:27AM)

Yes I can.

You are on the Internet.  Welcome.

In all seriousness, things are usually free or cheap because of the real or perceived value of advertising and the revenue that it may or may not generate.

It is a little concerning when you first peek behind the curtain and see all the attempted connections and communications you constantly receive while online.

I think it is a fact of life, and if it concerns you there are many countermeasures available to block such stuff, but you may find that many functions do not work online if you block certain advertisers.

Advertising is annoying but it is the reason apps are free for your smartphone, and basically the reason much TV and radio are still free.

I used to think once companies smarten up and realize that most web advertising does not generate revenue (click HERE!) , they would stop, but I guess I was wrong. A new recent twist on ads and tracking is that it can be used for big data analytics and again have a perceived value for targeting ads to a particular user.

Posted by doougle on February 17, 2017 (09:34AM)

"Advertising is annoying but it is the reason apps are free for your smartphone, and basically the reason much TV and radio are still free."

Duh.  But Tradeking isn't free.  I pay for it. 

This isn't the Facebook I'm talking about.  This is my account holdings, balances and orders pages.

Posted by the penguin on February 17, 2017 (06:58PM)

Yes, you pay for TradeKing, but it is cheaper than most.

I don't like it either, but revenue comes from somewhere no matter what the website does. 

I use a lot of blockers, and they have issues sometimes but I feel better doing it.  It is a constant battle it seems like.

You must Log In to post to this forum.

Not a member? Register Now to …

• See what other traders are doing
  • Make your own trades public
  • Share your thoughts on a trade
  • Join or start a group
  • Connect with like-minded traders